Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I've got one more thing to post before the day is done: Ten On Tuesday

Ten Things You Love About Your City

My city, FYI, is Eugene, Oregon.

1) The weather! It never gets too hot, and it never gets too cold. It's usually either sunny, raining, or cloudy. Once in a while we'll get hail or a thunderstorm, but nothing else.
2) The trees. I've been to Arizona before, and the thing I probably noticed most (other than the heat) was the lack of greenery. In Eugene there are trees everywhere, and it makes for a beautiful place to live. The same goes for the wonderful parks, waterways, and other delights of nature that can be found in this area.
3) Used bookstores!
4) CD World. It has the largest selection in the area, and I think it has the best service too. It has a bonus card program and sells a large selection of used discs.
5) The University of Oregon. I graduated from there, but that's not the only reason I like it. I also like it because it's the cultural center of Eugene and it's just a gorgeous place to be.
6) The great local music scene. The Cherry Poppin' Daddies (the guys who did Zoot Suit Riot) are from here. There are other local bands to check out, but what I like most is the willingness of the various musical venues in town to bring in acts that I know and love. In the past year alone I've seen BeauSoleil, Jonny Lang and the Chieftains. I also love the wonderful music venues themselves, including the stunning McDonald Theater, the gargantuan Hult Center, and the Shedd (which used to be the First Baptist Church building).
7) The LTD bus system. It may not be perfect, but I'm sure glad it's there. I live far away from the city center and I'd have a hard time getting anywhere if it wasn't for the bus.
8) North Eugene High School. I have to give a shout out to my old high school.
9) Civic Stadium, home of the Eugene Emeralds baseball team. We don't go to that many Emerald's games, but when we do I enjoy the old-time baseball atmosphere. You just can't duplicate it in a new place.
10) The crazy, quirky, colorful, happy, sometimes frustrating, sometimes just plain insane residents of Eugene. Without all the wacky and wonderful characters who live here, Eugene would be just another boring college town. Instead, it's a mix of the new and the old and is as good a place as any to find out what the Sixties were really like.

No comments: