Monday, July 17, 2006

Jeff at Imagine Echoes asks - What band most surprised you in concert with their talent?

To answer this question, I first (finally!) made a list of all the concerts I've paid to see. I think I've remembered them all, but I'm not sure. I don't remember going to a concert in 2001, but that was so long ago that I really don't remember.

I think the first group that really surprised me with their talent is Nickel Creek. I saw them perform first in April of 2004 and had only heard their debut album at that point. I knew I liked the band, but I wasn't at all prepared for how well they play and how much they can entertain a crowd. I left the concert with a huge smile on my face.

The second act that impressed me is Andrew Bird, whom I saw open for Nickel Creek the second time I saw them last December. The man is a one-person band! My friend Beth had told me about him before, and I had heard a few of his songs, but I was surprised how good he is even as an opening act. His voice is haunting and his instrumental skills are excellent.

I saw Keri Noble open for Jonny Lang last March, and she completely surprised me because I had never heard her before. I'm a huge fan now, for sure!

Everyone else I've seen did not surprise me, because I knew how good they were when I bought the tickets.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I've never listened to Nickel Creek, I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the link.