Tuesday, August 07, 2007

More First Impressions: Los Lonely Boys "Sacred"

I'm not going to live-blog this one, but I thought I'd give my first thoughts on the other album I bought, Sacred by Los Lonely Boys, their second studio album.

Overall, I don't think it's any better and just slightly worse than their debut album. It doesn't have the smash-hit single like "Heaven" or the impeccable harmonies and melodies of a song like "Velvet Sky," but Sacred largely has the Boys doing what they do best. What do they do best? They rock!

The best thing about this album is the guitar playing by Henry Garza (that's the reason I like the LLB) and the slight shift in instrumentation. There is a lot more organ, and there other non-guitar instruments like horns and even an accordion. These instruments make enough of a difference to make you take notice.

There are a few s0-so tracks, but they're not that bad either. The debut album had tracks like that too. I did notice there are fewer ballads, and the major ballad ("I Never Met A Woman") is one of their best so far.

LLB still don't quite know how to end an album. "Living My Life" is the other ballad on the album, and it's the bad one. I don't think a ballad is a good way to end a rock album, in any case (except a Smashing Pumpkins album).

If you liked Los Lonely Boys' debut album, you'll like this one. It's more of the same (without the freshness of a new group making their name and music known), but that's not a negative. Los Lonely Boys albums are made for enjoyment, and there is enough rock and melody and pretty sounds here to make the album enjoyable.

My favorite song so far is "Outlaws," because you can't knock a Willie Nelson appearance. Nor can you knock the electric guitar.

No comments: