Tuesday, September 11, 2007

College Kids and Pot Music

While watching TV today, I saw a commercial for a portable video game called "Jam Sessions." Apparently, it mimics the playing of a real guitar. The commercial featured groups of college students sitting around singing "Santeria" by Sublime. I've never understood the college student obsession with Sublime. I'm guessing college students like them because the band members are/were pot smokers.

That got me thinking about other bands that college students enjoy, no matter what generation they're in. Bob Marley? Check. Dave Matthews Band? Check. What do both Bob Marley and Dave Matthews sing about on occasion? Smoking pot.

It's funny how you don't see this pattern for any other drug use other than alcohol. But most rock bands partake of alcohol, so that isn't so special. Not everyone does pot, however, but for some reason college students seem to think that's the thing to do. They also seem to think bands that sing about smoking pot are good to listen to.

I do like Dave Matthews Band and Bob Marley, but for the music, not the pot smoking. FYI, I've never smoked pot in my life. I don't think I've even been near anyone smoking pot. I just think it's funny that certain bands fascinate college students, and they all happen to sing about pot smoking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! sublime amuses me, but not for the pot references. actually, i adore their song caress me down. fun as hell!