Friday, September 14, 2007

The Next Internet Star

A few days ago I posted a link to an animated video called "Internet People," which recalls all of the internet-made celebrities of the past decade. Well, we can add one more to the list: Chris Crocker.

Who is Chris Crocker? He's the guy who made this video. Britney Spears made a spectacle of herself at this year's MTV VMAs, and the critical hounds were unleashed as soon as she stepped off the stage. Chris decided to defend Britney on Youtube, making a very emotional, tear-filled plea to "Leave her alone!!"

Sometimes you know a hit when you see it or hear it. As soon as I saw Chris' video (I originally saw in on VH1's blog), I knew it would become very famous, almost more famous than Britney's performance. Once again, Youtube has given us something to talk about, obsess about, and make fun of.

Just as I predicted, there are many parodies of Chris' Britney video on Youtube and other media sites. Take a look at this parody with actor Seth Green, a promotion for E! Network's "The Soup." A promotion it may be, but it's still very funny.

If Chris Crocker happens to read this - I'm not going to make fun of you myself. I have no doubt you meant every word you said. But, all the same, thanks for doing what you did. Now we have a new internet sensation to remember!

No comments: