Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Few Of My Favorite Things, Part 1: Music, Books and TV

Everyone's making their year-end lists right now, and I wanted to get in on the action. Today I'll tell you some of my favorite albums, books and TV shows that I enjoyed this year. Tomorrow, I'll highlight some of my favorite blog posts, favorite photos, and probably some of my favorite new website discoveries too.

Favorite Albums (bought in) 2007:

1. Nightcrawler by Pete Yorn. I think it's Pete's best so far. I bought it used in February, and it was a wise purchase. Yorn really knows how to write a tune and rock out. I reviewed this album, and you can read it here.

2. London Calling by The Clash. I bought the Legacy Edition of this on my birthday. It exceeded all my expectations. It will be a favorite for years to come.

3. Zeitgeist by Smashing Pumpkins. The Pumpkins are back, and they're rocking again!

4. Rancho Mexicano: The Very Best of ZZ Top by ZZ Top. For about a month, this was constantly playing on my computer and iPod. There's more to this band than beards and babes!

5. Pretenders by The Pretenders. I've been desiring this one for a long time, and finally bought it in November. I had to place a special order for it, because I never saw it in stores (except once). This isn't my first Pretenders album, however - that would be Learning To Crawl, which I bought in April.

6. Live! From The Left Coast by BeauSoleil. This is my latest purchase, and it's a good one! I was browsing the used discs and found this one randomly. I didn't have it yet, so I figured I should pick it up cheap right now. It's excellent! It had an energy that their studio discs are lacking.

Favorite Books Read In 2007:

1. Open Net by George Plimpton. This book about hockey was a favorite of mine as a youngster. I cracked it open again and enjoyed it once more. I'm amazed that I ever found it for sale.

2. The Prestige by Christopher Priest. I haven't seen the movie, but the book was magical (pun intended).

3. The Shipping News by Annie Proulx. Characters you won't forget. A landscape you'll clearly see in your mind. An experience you'll keep in your heart for a long time to come.

4. The Godfather by Mario Puzo. Think the movie's good? Wait until you read the book.

5. Live From New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live. An essential read if you like SNL.

6. Gangland by Howard Blum. Reads like an Al Pacino movie. Then you remember it's actually a true story, and you grip the pages tighter.

7. The Face Of A Stranger by Anne Perry. The "whodunit" is nothing compared to Detective William Monk's first question: "Who am I?"

Favorite TV shows of 2007:

Not that I watch much TV in the first place.

1. "Scrubs." I'm still a fan, although this season doesn't really impress me. If I'm bored at 7 PM, I know I can always turn on Comedy Central for some entertainment from J.D. and the gang.

2. "Mythbusters." This was my new TV obsession of 2007. I don't watch it much anymore, but it was entertaining when I was a new viewer.

3. "No Reservations." I don't watch this one much anymore either (hour-long shows are just too much for me sometimes!) but I still think it's enjoyable. Anthony is a wacky, dangerous guy, and a wonderful narrator.

4. "Rock of Love." I couldn't help myself! Once I saw the premiere episode, I knew I had to stick around to watch this train-wreck of a show. I'll try to avoid the next season, so I don't get sucked in again.

5. "History Detectives." I may not be a TV fan, but this is my one must-watch show.

1 comment:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

You'll have an addition to make to this post. Top 5 albums released in 2007