Sunday, January 20, 2008

Ultimate Music Survey

It's Sunday afternoon and I'm bored, so I thought I'd dig around online for some fun surveys. I found this . . .

Ultimate Music Survey

Favorites


What is your favorite genre of music?: Celtic
Why?: It's always either fun, beautiful, or both.
Name your favorite band(s): Afro Celt Sound System, BeauSoleil, The Beatles, Smashing Pumpkins
Name your favorite solo artist(s): Natalie MacMaster, Jeff Buckley, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis Costello, Stevie Ray Vaughan (some of these people have bands, but are best known for their own talent).
What is your favorite album?: Volume 3: Further In Time by Afro Celt Sound System.
What is your favorite album cover?: I really like the cover art for Out Of Exile by Audioslave
Name your favorite song(s): "Little Wing" by Hendrix or Vaughan, "Baba O'Riley" by The Who, "Hypnotica" by Afro Celt Sound System, "Hey Jude" by The Beatles. And so, so many more. Look at my last.fm playlist on the sidebar for more.
Favorite CD you own: See the "favorite album" above.
Favorite song on your computer: One of my favorites - "In The Sun" by Joseph Arthur
Favorite song you DON'T have: Right now, "Love Song" by Sara Bareilles
Favorite lyrics: "The truth can't hurt you, it's just like the dark. It scares you witless, but in time you see things clear and stark." from "I Want You" by Elvis Costello.
Favorite vocalist: Male - Jeff Buckley. Female - Triona Ni Dhomhnaill
Favorite guitarist: Jimi Hendrix
Favorite bassist: Paul McCartney
Favorite drummer: Mitch Mitchell of the Jimi Hendrix Experience
Favorite instrumentalist (any instrument not mentioned above): Natalie MacMaster (plays the fiddle).
Favorite classical / jazz composer: George Gershwin
Favorite rapper: Not really a rap fan, but I think Jay-Z is quite talented.
Favorite theatrical score: The music from Lord of the Rings.
Favorite of anything not mentioned: Favorite Canadian - Sarah McLachlan

The bad stuff

What's your least favorite genre of music?: Whatever the kids are listening to these days.
Who's your least favorite band?: Limp Bizkit, I think.
Who's your least favorite solo artist?: I'm not a big fan of Chris Daughtry. I don't think I've managed to listen to any of his songs for more than a few seconds.
Who do you think is the most annoying musician?: Courtney Love.
If you could shoot any "artist" or "band", who would it be?: I'd say 50 Cent, but I don't think one more bullet would harm him.
Who do you think is the least talented?: Honestly, it's going to be some local band that only does covers of another band that already sucks to begin with and spends more time drinking than practicing.
Least favorite song: Any song that's on a ringtone commercial.
Most repetitive song: I don't know. "My Humps," I guess.
Last song to be stuck in your head: "The Word" by The Beatles, earlier.
Did this survey just get that song stuck in your head again? (sorry): Not really, but I wouldn't mind.
Worst band that used to be good?: Bon Jovi. What happened to them?
A good band that used to suck?: I can't think of one. I wish I had.

Your musical background

What was the first music you remember listening to?: Kids' music, and whatever my parents had around.
What type of music do your parents listen to?: Lately they listen to a lot of country and some rock. They're not really into music like I am.
Do you play any musical instruments, or sing? If so, elaborate.: I can sing a little, but I'm not sure how well.
Do you take lessons for instruments or voice?: No.
Do you plan to / have you gone to college for music?: I think it would be cool to take some sort of course on popular music.
Who are your musical inspirations?: Everything I listen to, but the Afro Celt Sound System in particular.
Who was your first favorite band or artist?: MC Hammer. Yes, it's true.
Who is your most recent favorite band or artist?: Today, probably BeauSoleil. In the last month, the Beatles.
What styles of music are you interested in learning about?: I'm always interested in learning more about music. So my answer is - every genre!
What styles of music do you already know a lot about?: I know quite a bit about rock, but I'm not an expert on anything.
Do you know much about musical theory?: No, unfortunately.
If you take lessons, do you like your teacher(s)?: N/a.
How many different music teachers do you have, or have you had?: N/a.

This or that

Classical or jazz?: Jazz
Classic rock or modern rock?: Classic
Rock or Rap?: Rock
Emo or Punk?: Punk
Funk or Blues?: Blues
Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin?: Led Zeppelin
Bob Marley or Michael Franti?: Bob Marley
Coldplay or Radiohead?: Coldplay
Guster or Dispatch?: Guster
John Mayer or Jack Johnson?: I'm gonna go with Mayer
Eminem or 50 Cent?: Eminem
Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera?: Christina
Backstreet Boys or N'SYNC?: Neither - Justin Timberlake solo
The Beatles or the Rolling Stones?: Beatles!
Beethoven or Mozart?: I don't know enough about either.
Rachmaninoff or Debussy?: Ditto
Duke Ellington or Count Basie?: Ditto. Hmm, a Duke and a Count.
Electric or acoustic?: Electric.
Mandolin or ukulele?: Mandolin
Saxophone or trumpet?: Sax

Miscellaneous

Why do you like music?: Because the human mind reacts positively to melody and rhythm. But also because it's beautiful.
Has music ever made you cry? When?: Not really.
Has music ever made you laugh? When?: When I was younger, listening to Weird Al.
Do you like local music?: Haven't heard much of it.
What is the best show you have ever been to?: So far, Natalie MacMaster in '06.
Have you ever played in any shows?: No.
If so, what type of music was it?: N/a.
Do you enjoy being on stage?: I might.
Do you like to sing, even if you don't consider yourself a singer?: Yes.
If you could meet any musician and ask them for advice, who would it be?: I'd want to meet all of the Afro Celts, and so many other musicians. I don't think I'd ask any advice of them, however.
If you could just chill with any musician, who would it be?: Pete Yorn seems like he'd be a good guy to chill out with.
What instrument that you don't play now would you like to learn next?: I don't play any, so I'd like to learn fiddle. If I had bigger hands, I'd learn bass guitar.
Do you like foreign types of music? If so, what types?: Yes, I like Celtic, Nordic, Latin, and more.

2 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Is that survey anywhere I could nab it without having to do the whole copy paste and delete? I want to be an meme sheep! But I'm a lazy meme sheep.

Russ said...

Sorry, but it's not. Copy, paste and delete is what I did with it.