Saturday, February 23, 2008

Pond Prompts - 2/23/08

Did you have a favorite TV show as a child or youth? Or radio show?

Of course, I was into cartoons as a kid. The 80s were a great time for Saturday morning cartoons. I remember liking He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. I remember liking Thundercats and Smurfs. When I was older, I also enjoyed the good Disney cartoons - Gummi Bears, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck. I bet you can sing each of those theme songs, can't you?

I can also remember enjoying You Can't Do That On Television (I heard that!), Dukes of Hazzard, and of course, Ramblin' Rod (it's an Oregon thing).

In summary - I watched a lot of TV as a child!

Describe a trip downtown as a youngster.

My fondest memories of downtown as a child are the birthday shopping trips that my grandmother would give us. Back then, downtown Eugene was mostly closed to traffic. There were many more shops and stores to shop at, too. I remember the big fountain on Willamette and Broadway, which I was always thrilled to see. What I remember most, though, was the place we always went during those trips - Woolworth's. We had lunch at the lunch counter and I would always have a grilled cheese.

Now, Woolworth's is gone, all the streets have traffic, and there aren't as many good places to shop. But if you like bars, there are many bars to seek out!

No comments: