Sunday, July 27, 2008

Photography Practice

Yesterday, my family and I went to my dad's clan's annual get-together at the Leaburg Recreation Area, near the fish hatchery. I took the opportunity to wander around and take photographs. I decided to try the manual settings. I don't have much experience with them, and I thought perhaps I could really learn to use them in such a challenging setting (mostly shady, with little pockets of sun here and there).

The manual settings aren't that bad! What I like best is that I can really control the exposure level. I had the aperture set for highest for the focal length (depending on the zoom level), so I was able to change the shutter speed to match the amount of light coming into the camera. I tried to stick with an ISO of 200, but occasionally I used ISO 400. The results were mostly good. Next time I try such an experiment, I will hopefully remember to manually bracket the exposure. The LCD screen on the camera can be very deceptive.

Here are a few of the better shots from the day:

Fern 2

Stars

Berries in the sun

Dark Forest

No comments: