Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Pond Prompts - 8/13/08

10 things I've done or said that I'm proud of

Ok, it's time to brag a little!

1. Made it onto the local newspaper's youth section in my senior year of high school. Huge accomplishment, considering only about 20 kids made the team each year.
2. Graduated from college.
3. Had a photo printed in the Eugene Weekly.
4. Volunteered.
5. Saw The Chieftains live.
6. Helped friends in times of need.
7. Successfully advocated for my needs and stood up to a system.
8. Was exhibited in a local photo contest twice.
9. Took great photos at my cousin's wedding.
10. Started a blog!

Do we really need more than fifty kinds of shampoo?

No, we don't. However, companies know they can make money if they convince us that we do, in fact, need that many kinds of shampoo. They know that we'll buy something if it promises to work better, or differently, than the other guy's product. They know that making different products for different groups of people will allow them to make tons of money from the same basic product.

I must say, though, that I prefer this setup to a situation where someone tells you what product you'll use, no matter how bad or ineffective it is. Yay democracy! Yay capitalism!

No comments: