Monday, February 02, 2009

Monday Music Mambo - 2/2/09

In honor of The Day The Music Died (which is actually tomorrow):

What rock and roll death has affected you the most?

Kurt Cobain's suicide in 1994 immediately comes to mind. I wasn't really a big Nirvana fan, but I saw them all over MTV and heard their songs all over the radio. They were the big thing in rock during that period. I remember being in shock when I heard the news during Homeroom at school. It was something the kids cared about. I don't recall what the adults thought, because to us, their opinion didn't matter. Kurt Cobain belonged to the MTV generation, and his death affected us greatly.

People have varying opinions on just how great Nirvana really were, but what cannot be denied is that Kurt was an artist who commanded attention. He made his mark on the world of music for good or bad. For that, he must be remembered.

Monday Music Mambo

1 comment:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

I don't remember Elvis' death in 1977, as he didn't really play a part in my life back them. But John Lennon's murder in Dec 1980 sticks potently in my mind, as The Beatles played a major role in my youth. I remember where I was, who I was with, even what radio station i was listening to when the news came across the radio.