Sunday, October 25, 2009

Two important birthdays

First and foremost, today is the birthday of my very good friend Jessica.  It's not polite to tell a lady's age, but she'll always be three years younger than me.  I don't think she reads my blog, but if she does - happy birthday, Jess!

Second, according to This Day In Music, the Jimi Hendrix Experience's classic album Electric Ladyland was released today in 1968.  It's such a great album!  What does it mean to me?  Well, I think it's Hendrix's finest.  The double-album length gave Jimi the space he needed to really expand his ideas and lay down the music in his head.  The creative spirit of such songs as "Rainy Day Dream Away" and its sister track "Still Raining, Still Dreaming", "1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be)" and "Burning Of The Midnight Lamp" and "House Burning Down" make Electric Ladyland a delight to experience.

If you want to read the live blog of my first time listening to Electric Ladyland, click here.

No comments: