Sunday, December 06, 2009

Sunday Scribblings - 12/6/09

Weird

I tried to think of the weirdest thing I've ever seen, but I'm not coming up with anything.  Instead of that, I'm going to use the very first thing that comes to my mind when I think about weird and choose my . . .

Top Five "Weird" Al Yankovic Songs Of All Time

With one exception, I also think these are the best "Weird" Al songs of all time.  However, I decided to go with my favorites.  Also, I'm not thinking about the videos because that would be an entirely different list.

1)  "Dare To Be Stupid."  It's basically Al's anthem.  I love all the wordplay in this song, as well as the wacky music.

2)  "White and Nerdy."  Al can sing, but can he also rap?  Yes!  Most of the references in this song will become dated in ten years, but Al's motormouth rapping skills will always impress.

3)  "I Lost On Jeopardy."  With this song, Al speaks for the nervous, incompetent wrecks in all of us.  You have to love Don Pardo's long parting shot near the end.

4)  "Fat."  His other Michael Jackson song, "Eat It," was his first success at grabbing onto the popular zeitgeist to create a hit on radio and MTV.  "Fat," though, is just funnier.  It's even funny without the video (which is Al's very best video, in my opnion).

5)  "The Biggest Ball Of Twine In Minnesota."  This epic song showcases Al's wacky sense of humor and love for the bizarre and unusual.  It captures the American traveling spirit and has something for everyone.  It's also quite different from Al's other songs as it's longer and an original composition instead of a parody.

No comments: