Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Youtube Wednesday for St. Patrick's Day

I have a great appreciation for all things Celtic, and that includes the music.  I have much love for Irish and Scottish traditional music.  It's my favorite kind of music of all.  For me, St. Patrick's Day is not about leprechauns, or shamrocks, or beer, or any of that.  For me, it's about celebrating the music I love so dearly. So, in honor of St. Patrick's Day, here are some Youtube videos of some great Irish music performances:

First, here's a song I'm really liking lately -- "Nil 'Na Lá" by Solas.  You gotta love that Gaelic:



Next, the incomparable Chieftains, and a roomful of harp players:



Now, how about a performance by the incredible Altan:



Here's Irish-American fiddler Liz Carroll, performing for President Obama last year:

 

Next, the great Bothy Band:

 

How about a beautiful song?  This one is also from the Bothy Band, featuring the incredible voice of my favorite Irish singer, Triona Ni Dhomhnaill.  Unfortunately it's not a video, just the song, but still great:

 

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig!

No comments: