Friday, April 23, 2010

30

Well, I was going to post yesterday, but I forgot, so I'll just do one big post today.

  • First off -- today is my 30th birthday!  It feels strange to hit another decade.  I'm now officially 'old,' or at least not young.  I'm spending today listening to music and going out for BBQ later on tonight.  I gotta have my birthday ribs.  
  • I bought two excellent CDs for my birthday, and they couldn't be more different in sound:  Loveless by My Bloody Valentine and American Recordings by Johnny Cash.  One is full of dense, lush, loud, distorted electric guitars, and the other is a man, a voice and a single acoustic guitar.  They are both very great albums and I'm happy to finally own them.  
  • I also got myself a couple books.  I had some time to kill the other day, so I went to a local used bookstore.  I was looking for some specific things, and I found the one book I was intending to buy for my birthday all along -- Writing New York: A Literary Anthology.  I found it for $12, only a couple more than I would have spent online.  It's in great condition, and it even has the cover I want.  I also lucked out because it's the expanded edition, which I wasn't aware existed.  More is better!  I also bought Piecework by NYC journalist Pete Hamill.  It's a collection of some of his columns and pieces over the years.
  • I've been taking more photos lately now that I have a phone with a decent camera and email access to send the pics to Flickr.  Yesterday I checked out a new vegan donut place in town, and here's what their chocolate frosted looks like:
The Holy Donut

No comments: