Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Audioslave's third album Revelations arrived in stores today, and, Audioslave fan I am, I picked up a copy for myself.

What do I think of it so far? Well, I'm not really sure what to think. Some of the songs sound immediately great, but others seem to take some time to grow on you. I think the album is, overall, very strong. Some of the songs stretch the Audioslave sound by leaps and bounds, and other songs sound very familiar. I think that familiarity is where the band stumbles.

I also think the melodies are a little weaker than those found on Out Of Exile. Songs like "Doesn't Remind Me" stuck immediately in your head, which most of these songs unfortunately do not.

I had very high expectations for this album, so I think maybe that's where I'm failing as a listener. I may prefer their sophomore album more, but this one is definitely a keeper.

My favorite songs, so far, are "Revelations," "One And The Same," "Original Fire," "Broken City" and "Wide Awake."

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I've always had this "grudge" against Audioslave just because I'm a huge Rage Against the Machine fan but they definitely have some great music. I saw them live a few years back and they put on a fantastic show. I might have to check this album out.

PS: It's the worst when you get your expectations up so high for something because you put it on such a high pedestal it's nearlly impossible for it to achieve your expectations. I do it toooo often.

Deb said...

I never heard of this band before. I love Rage Against the Machine and their political outbursts...that's entertaining.

I always wondered if you were a musician yourself, since most of your topics are about music. Or are you just very into music?

I have a feeling you're a musician. :)

Russ said...

You guessed wrong, Deb. As much as I love music, I have very little musical talent. I suppose I could sing if I really tried, but that's about it!

I'd love to try out different instruments though, just to see if there is anything I'm good at.