Monday, January 15, 2007

The Last.fm meme

My top 10 favorite artists according to Last.fm:

1. The Beatles
2. Roy Orbison
3. The Who
4. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
5. Her Infinite Variety (that's a CD, so I'll just use any/all of the artists for this spot)
6. Smashing Pumpkins
7. Natalie MacMaster
8. Audioslave
9. Afro Celts/Afro Celt Sound System
10. Sarah McLachlan

Some random questions...

Q: What was the first song you ever heard by #2 (Roy Orbison)?
Probably "Oh, Pretty Woman."

Q: What is your favorite album of #6 (Smashing Pumpkins)?
Oh, that's a tough choice! I think "Siamese Dream" will always hold a special place in my heart.

Q: What is your favorite Lyric of #7 (Natalie MacMaster)?
"I've taken the pain no girl should endure, but faith can move mountains, of that I am sure." - from "Get Me Through December" sung by Alison Krauss

Q: What is your favorite song by #9 (Afro Celt Sound System)?
Another tough choice! The one that immediately comes to mind is "Colossus," so I'm going with that.

Q: Is there a song of #1 (The Beatles) that makes you sad?
"For No One" is quite sad.

Q: What is your favorite song by #8 (Audioslave)?
"Doesn't Remind Me" is one of their best.

Q: What is your favorite song by #10 (Sarah McLachlan)?
"Stupid," either the original or the remix.

Q: What is your favorite album by #8 (Audioslave)?
Out Of Exile is their best thus far, in my opinion.

Q: How did you get into #5 (Her Infinite Variety)?
I bought that album for a friend because I thought an album of female Celtic music would be just the thing for her. I thought it sounded so good that I should buy it, so when I saw it again some months ago, I bought it for myself. It's two full CDs of music for the price of one!

Q: What is your favorite song by #4 (The Jimi Hendrix Experience)?
"Little Wing"

Q: Who is your favorite band member of #1 (The Beatles)?
Usually it's Paul McCartney, but lately I'm loving John's voice and George Harrison's songs and voice.

Q: What is a good memory concerning #4 (The Jimi Hendrix Experience)?
My favorite memory of Jimi is being blown away and stunned by the incredible music when I first listened to "Are You Experienced?"

Q: What does #9 (Afro Celt Sound System) remind you of?
They remind me of a special time in my life music-wise, and they also remind me of concerts (because they're really good live!) I've never been able to see them perform, however.

Q: Is there a song by #3 (The Who) that makes you sad?
I can't think of too many Who songs that make me particularly sad. I suppose "Tea and Theatre," from their newest album, comes closest.

Q: What is your favorite song of #1 (The Beatles)?
Wow, that's a toughie. My favorite of the moment is "And Your Bird Can Sing" but I love most Beatles songs.

Q: How did you become a fan of #7 (Natalie MacMaster)?
I had heard one of her tunes on internet radio and became hooked. She's an amazing musician.

Q: What do you like to do while listening to #6 (Smashing Pumpkins)? Nothing in particular, really. I suppose I like to sit and listen to the powerful music coming out of the speakers.

Q: Which of the 10 has influenced you the most?
Afro Celt Sound System, for sure. They made music a near-religious experience for me.

Q: Which artist makes you the most happy?
As much as I'd like to say ACSS, the truth is The Beatles make me the happiest when I put them on.

Q: Which artist makes you the most sad?
The Jimi Hendrix Experience, because I can only wonder how great Jimi would have been had he lived.

Q: Which artist makes the best dance music?
Afro Celt Sound System. They're called a Sound System for a reason.

Q: Which artist have you liked the longest?
The artist I've been a fan of longest (I liked songs by Roy Orbison and Smashing Pumpkins years in the past) is Natalie MacMaster in early 2001.

Q: Which artist have you liked the shortest?
I believe that would be The Who.

Q: Are there any artists you will still be listening to in 20 years?
Hopefully I'll be listening to all of them in that time. The artist I know for sure I'll still be listening to is The Beatles.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I probably listen to The Beatles more than any other band. I wouldn't label them as my favorite, probably my second favorite, but definitely they're my most listened to because they fit any mood.