Friday, April 06, 2007

Just my opinion, but this is stupid

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070406/ap_on_re_us/silent_screamer_1

The above is a link to a story about an amusement park in suburban Sacramento, California. Their latest ride, the Screamer, is getting so many complaints from neighbors (who are separated from the amusement park by a 12-lane freeway, by the way) that the park operators have instituted a "no noise" policy for anyone riding it.

According to the article, the Screamer is "a gigantic, windmill-like contraption that sends people plunging 16 stories to Earth at nearly 60 mph."

Yeah, you're not supposed to scream after falling 16 stories at 60 miles per hour.

Ok, here's my opinion: If you live near an amusement park, you can expect to hear noise! It comes with the territory, people! I realize that there are folks who are sensitive to noise, but life is noisy! That's just how it is. Have we become so used to having our environments fit to our exact specifications that we now need no noise at all, ever? I wonder what these folks would think of living in a city.

Am I wrong on this? If I moved nearby an amusement park (or a 12-lane freeway for that matter), I would expect to hear noise. If I didn't want that much noise, I'd l0ok elsewhere. After all, this is suburbia we're talking about, not low-income housing.

Anyone else agree? Disagree? Think I've gone crazy?

2 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I agree that is nuts! But remember that's California...and I really think there isn't a full brain in the entire state.

Scooter McGavin said...

Agreed, yeah if they build one next to where you live you have reasonto grip, but if you volentarily move in there you should know what you are getting into and you are benifitting from the price of the land there.