Sunday, August 12, 2007

Scandinavian Festival Report - Part One

By the skin of my teeth, I managed to get out to the Junction City Scandinavian Festival (more info at their website or my earlier post). My grandparents agreed to take me, and we decided to go on the last day, Sunday. We thought the crowds might be smaller today. They weren't huge, but not what I'd call small. The line for aebleskivers wasn't anything near small!

The weather today brought both good news and bad news. The good news is that it was cloudy and slightly windy, which means the heat wasn't bothersome at all. The bad news is that cloudy conditions make for poor photography. The light during cloudy days is just like the clouds themselves - dull and color-sucking. I made the best of it, though. Even though last year's photos were probably better, I think I got some gems this year.

What did I do there? I took many, many photographs. I wanted to really capture the "story" of the Festival. I wanted to answer questions like:

What can you find there?

Say Cheese!

What does it look like?

Swedish Recycling Bin

What kinds of food can be found?

Mmm, ribben

If I did my job, the photos I took will put you right in the middle of the action so you feel as if you're there.

Of course, I stopped to watch some of the dancing and get photos:

Festival Park Dancers 2007 #5

There would be more dancing later, but in the meantime I looked around some more. I tried not to photograph things I've photographed in the past, but some images must be revisited:

Fountain Maiden

After more wandering, I stopped back at Festival Park to watch harpist Noah Brenner.

Noah Brenner #3

He's new this year, and next year I'll try to catch his entire performance so I can listen instead of focusing on taking photos.

After all this photography, I was starting to get hungry. I had been there nearly an hour without anything to eat! What to eat first? I'm rather fond of the Swedish Pancakes:

Swedish Pancake #1

There shall be more tales to come, but I have to upload more photos before I tell them. Stay tuned for another chapter!

No comments: