Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Concert Report - BeauSoleil at The Shedd, 1/22/08

I'm back from the BeauSoleil concert, and I wish I could watch it all over again! The band was really hot tonight, really on top of their game.

BeauSoleil played a two-hour set with an intermission. Michael Doucet was very talkative, telling stories and jokes all night in between the songs. They started with "Chez Denouse McGee," and also played:

Malinda
Le Soleil Brille
La Valse de BeauSoleil
Lena Mae
Le Jig Francais
La Chanson de Mardis Gras
Newz Reel/Zydeco Gris-Gris
Le Reel de Nez Pique
Peux Pas Me Refuser
La Terre de mon Grandpere
Les Blues de Creve de Faim
Bon Temps Rouler
Les Fleurs Fleurissent
Baby Please Don't Go
La Danse de la Vie
Bye Bye Boozoo
Bunk's Blues
Reel de Dennis McGee

*update - added a couple more that I remembered.*

That's all I can remember. I may be missing a couple, but not many. They played quite a few songs!

Here's a cool little story. About ten minutes before show time, I got up to use the restroom. The restroom on the balcony level is a small one that probably isn't used much - there are bigger restrooms downstairs. I was waiting for the person in the upstairs restroom to finish, and who should come out but the band's accordion player! I didn't say anything to him, because I made a fool of myself the last time he was in town by calling him the wrong name. Luckily, he didn't seem to recognize me.

The last thing I will say about the concert, other than it rocked a thousand different ways, is that David Doucet is a really amazing guitar player. He isn't flashy, and he mostly plays rhythm (which you can't really hear over the other instruments), but his solos are really spectacular! He picks those strings like nobody else. Michael gets all the attention, but I think David should get some props for his amazing skills.

I had a really great time! I can't wait to see them again, and I'm sure I'll get the chance again.

No comments: