Wednesday, January 23, 2008

free.fm

Big news in the web 2.0 world today - last.fm will now have every track on its site available for free streaming (in the U.S., U.K. and Germany, that is).

But hold your horses - you can only stream a track a total of three times. So is it really fair to call it 'free streaming'?

I suppose we should think of this as a better way to preview music and not a free-for-all like everyone would hope for. If the ad-supported model is successful enough, maybe the record companies and CBS would do away with the limit of 3. I won't get my hopes up, though.

In the meantime, if you do decide to use this new feature, do it wisely! I'm sure it will be very easy to lose track of how many times you've played a song, especially if that song is repeat-worthy.

1 comment:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

However they screwed up the scrobbling doing this. I lost 2000 scrobbles yesterday. Stupid Lost.fm