Thursday, January 31, 2008

I want my 80s videos

My household now has digital cable, including VH1 Classic. I've become addicted to watching the early morning 80s videos they show. They're hilarious! The concepts are wacky, the acting is over-the-top, and the choreography is so out-of-date. I'd like to share a few of the videos I've recently enjoyed and mocked:

First, we have "Turn Up The Radio" from some band called Autograph. I've never heard of them, probably for good reasons. Where to begin with this one? The goofy futuristic setting? The mugging for the camera? The split-screen during the guitar solo? The guitar solo itself, which shows some Eddie Van Halen imitation? Just watch it:



It's a decent song for all that, I must say.

Next we have "Pop Goes The World" by Men Without Hats. You know, the "Safety Dance" guys. I don't know what's more disturbing here - the dancing, the bubbles, or the odd snowman drummer. This looks like something from a kids' show.

Now we come to "I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That" by Elton John. Here, Elton does his Elton John thing while wearing a weird private detective outfit. He looks very different from his current image. He's quite silly in this video, but it is very well done. Also, you have to love the cheesy dancing.



Last, but not least, the ultimate "what the hell?" video - "Land Of Confusion" by Genesis. If I were Phil Collins, I'd strangle whoever made that horrible puppet likeness.



Stay tuned, because I may choose to link more videos if I see any that are particularly good or funny.

No comments: