Friday, January 11, 2008

Top Five On Friday - 1/11/07

Let's do a Top Five!

Top 5 "Perfect" albums (albums that you can play all the way through without skipping a track)

First, I would like to say there are really no "perfect" albums for me. Every album has tracks I'll skip from time to time. They might be perfectly good songs. They might be truly great songs. That doesn't mean I always want to hear them. That said, here are some albums that almost fit the bill:

1) London Calling by The Clash. One of the best double albums ever? Yes. Even the filler here is really good stuff. Those songs only suffer in comparison to the truly amazing songs.

2) Volume 3: Sound Magic by Afro Celt Sound System. No surprises here.

3) This Year's Model by Elvis Costello and the Attractions. "Hand In Hand" is the only one I don't love, and even that one has grown on me. Come to think of it, My Aim Is True is pretty solid too. No skip-worthy tracks on that one.

4) Who's Next by The Who. You will not find a better collection of rock songs anywhere.

5) Tragic Kingdom by No Doubt. Well, I have to admit I don't usually listen to "Don't Speak." It's out of place on such a fun album. But its excellence redeems this album back into "no-skip" land.

BONUS PICK!

6) Love by The Beatles. This was designed to be listened from beginning to end. Even if it wasn't, you'd listen to the whole thing anyway.

2 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I'm opposite of you with EC...I don't like the first two albums all that much. Though I do like TYM over MAIT. But for me...late 80's EC is more to my taste.

Russ said...

There's an Elvis for everyone! (I'm sure someone out there even likes Bearded Elvis).