Wednesday, April 23, 2008

2000th post and birthday report

Welcome to my 2000th post on this blog! I started in September of 2002, so I've been at this blogging thing for a while. I don't have any profound things to say about this occasion except - wow! Also, how cool is it that this post number comes on my birthday?

What did I do on my birthday? I listened to a lot of music, and I ate a lot of food. We went to a local BBQ joint, "Hole-In-The-Wall," for dinner. I had the brisket and ribs. I only ate a portion of it, and I have a big box of leftovers for future meals. It was yummy! An hour ago, we had some chocolate fudge ice cream, which I requested. You gotta have a dessert on your birthday! That was yummy too.

Here's a short report on the music:

Lake Effect by Liz Carroll: Very awesome. This woman is a fantastic fiddle player. I could have used a few more fast reels, but overall it's excellent. It has very well-designed liner notes too.

Recurring Dream: The Very Best of Crowded House by Crowded House: Another excellent disc. I chose well. The melodies here are already digging their way into my head. Neil Finn is worth his weight in gold and then some.

All Things Must Pass by George Harrison: This man had a ton of talent. The songs on this album rock, but they're also very beautiful. I do think, though, that Phil Spector's production buried George's beautiful voice too far in the mix. George himself thought as much. I also don't care too much for the 'jams' on the second disc. They sound fine, but they go on far too long. A few minutes for each would have been sufficient. I also wish more new material had been included in the 'bonus songs' section, if any new material exists. The instrumental version of "What Is Life" is unnecessary, but the other bonus songs are fine. Not essential, but fine.

Night and Day by Joe Jackson: A good album, but not a great one. The second half is better than the first. There are a few 'filler' songs that keep this from being a great disc. It's worth the purchase for the singles, but without those, I wouldn't bother with it.

No comments: