Friday, April 25, 2008

New to Costello?

One of the A.V. Club's features is the Primer. It's a guide to an individual artist or band. The writer gives a handful of essential songs that chart the artist's history, and then lists several essential albums.

The latest primer is about that wonderful poet, rocker and crooner Elvis Costello. He also happens to be a favorite artist of mine.

I agree with a lot of what's in the primer, at least the things I've heard and heard of. I'd make two changes - I'd highlight "High Fidelity" rather than "B Movie" from the album Get Happy!!, and I'd also talk about the track "Beyond Belief" from Imperial Bedroom. The latter track is a perfect example of Elvis' vocal chops, and it has a great buildup. It's intense and unlike anything you've ever heard.

I should write a primer about the Afro Celt Sound System or the Smashing Pumpkins. We'll just call it something different, I think. I can't stream the songs, but I'm sure they're available on itunes anyhow.

1 comment:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I have a feeling I shouldn't click that link at all. Because the tracks they aren't mentioning are already filling me with rage..and when you talk about Imperial Bedroom..if you don't mention Man Out Of Time...you go straight to the fire in my book.