Thursday, May 22, 2008

Top Ten Non-Rock Albums

Layla at Layla's Classic Rock Faves spread this meme from another site, and I'm playing too. It's the Top Ten Non-Rock albums. Should be easy for me! I enjoy non-rock music.

1) Celtic:
My favorite right now is The Best of the Bothy Band. It's full of great stuff, especially if you like high-energy Irish tunes!

2) Scandinavian:
15 years by Groupa is a very earthy, jazzy, beautiful collection. If the Bothy Band came from Sweden, they'd sound like this.

3) Cajun:
Live! From the Left Coast is probably my favorite album by Cajun band BeauSoleil. It's also the last album of theirs I've bought. What took me so long to get this gem?

4) Zydeco:
The Essential Collection by Buckwheat Zydeco is just that - essential.

5) Reggae:
Ok, I only have one reggae album, but I bet you know which one - Legend by Bob Marley.

6) Country:
The Dixie Chicks are good, but how can I not choose The Legend of Johnny Cash?

7) Old timey/bluegrass:
Nickel Creek by Nickel Creek is a wonderful bluegrass album. It's the most pure folk album of their career thus far.

8) R&B:
Introducing Joss Stone by Joss Stone is her best yet, and she's still pretty young!

9) Folk:
The Cold Mountain soundtrack has it all - sacred harp singing, fiddle tunes, and other good stuff.

10) Afro-Celtic:
Volume 3: Further In Time by Afro Celt Sound System is simply excellent.

Ten bonus albums!

Volume 2: Release by Afro Celt Sound System
Otherworld by Lunasa
Why Should The Fire Die? by Nickel Creek
Harvest Storm by Altan
My Roots Are Showing by Natalie MacMaster
Sjofn by Gjallarhorn
Whirled by Vasen
Live by Natalie MacMaster
Home by The Dixie Chicks
Her Infinite Variety: Celtic Women in Music and Song

No comments: