Friday, June 20, 2008

Top Five On Friday - 6/20/08

What? June's almost over?! Anyway, here's the Top Five:

Top 5 albums that you can't stop playing lately, and tell us why you love them!

Knowing how I listen to music, this is likely to be mostly newer albums that I've bought.

1) Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends by Coldplay
Favorite song: "42"

This album has a great overall sound. You know, the usual Brian Eno stuff. Phil Spector who? Eno has the true 'wall of sound.' Each song features something new and interesting - hidden tracks, unusual instruments, multiple parts, fuzzy guitars. With one short exception, not one whiny ballad to be found anywhere.

2) All Things Must Pass by George Harrison
Favorite song: The title track

I finally bought this album this year, and was it ever worth the wait! George had a great singing voice. No, it's not pretty like McCartney's, but it will play with your emotions. He also pronounced certain words in a funny way. Aside from his voice, this album is full of beauty and an honest spirituality that I somehow don't mind.

3) Night and Day by Joe Jackson
Favorite song: Steppin' Out

As much as I like "Steppin' Out," I find myself playing this album just to hear "Another World." Not all the songs are great, but the great ones are really, really great. I just wish this had been mastered better. I can hardly hear the first verse of "A Slow Song." Did listeners in the 1980s have supersonic hearing?

4) Recurring Dream: The Very Best of Crowded House by Crowded House
Favorite song: "Mean To Me"

These songs are written and sung by Neil Finn, and sometimes by Tim Finn as well. That's all you need to know, really.

5) The Legend of Johnny Cash by Johnny Cash
Favorite song: "Hurt"

I'm re-reading Johnny Cash's autobiography right now, so it seemed appropriate to listen to him as well. I like this album because you get to see the evolution of Johnny's style, and hear some great songs too. It has his hits from all periods of his career.

4 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I need to get ATMP on CD too. I have 2 copies on vinyl so that should count for something, right?

Polly said...

Coldplay's new one is awesomesauce. It's on my list, too. :)

And mmmm Johnny Cash.

Good list!

Natsthename said...

I had a different Joe Jackson, since it is the new one!

LOVE ALL of your picks this week!!

Anonymous said...

Wow...you rock...5 out of 5...I know them all! LOL! Love the new Coldplay, too!