Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Concert Report - Natalie MacMaster 10/14/08

I've seen Natalie MacMaster (Don't know her? She's a Canadian fiddler) more times than any other musician or band. Tonight was my fourth time seeing her perform. I have to say, she always puts on a good show. She plays from the heart and gives it her all. It's very hard to resist her charm.

She started strong with "Welcome To The Trossachs," and kicked everything into gear from the very beginning. She has a reconfigured band - cello, pipes/whistle/banjo, piano, drums and bass. Guitar player Brad Davidge is no longer in her band. I'm sure he probably wanted to move on to other things. He'll probably make it big, because he's just that good. It was quite different hearing her band without a guitar player. There was a stronger connection between piano and fiddle, as well as a larger emphasis on the rhythm section. New drummer J.D. Blair seems to have a jazzy style, and compliments Natalie well. Her cello player, Nathaniel Smith, is only 14 years old! What a lucky teenager.

Natalie played a good mix of tunes from her last three albums (minus the Live album). She left some long-time concert favorites, such as "Tullochgorum" and "Blue Bonnets Over The Border" behind. I'm not complaining - I like to see different setlists and arrangements. There was more piping this time, and more dancing. A lot more dancing, in spite of the fact that Natalie is once again pregnant! No taking it easy for this lady. Her band members each took a solo near the end of the show, and piano player Mac Morin did a solo piece earlier in the show. He was amazing! Natalie herself played piano for one segment while Mac got up to step dance. He was amazing at that, too. Matt MacIsaac got his usual bagpipe solo spot after the intermission.

The sound was the low part of the night. I thought Natalie's fiddle should have been louder in the mix. I could still hear it, but I thought it should have been more dominant. I also had trouble understanding her when she was talking. The sound out of the speakers was a bit distorted. I could make out some of what she was saying, but not all. I missed out on some of the jokes! It may have been our seat location, because we were in the balcony on the left side of the room.

Enough about that - here's the best part of the night. The Shedd (where the concert was held) almost always holds a meet-and-greet following the show. Now that Natalie is a mother to small children, such events are always an if and a maybe. My grandparents and I waited in the reception room, along with other fans, for a good ten minutes. Finally, Natalie made her appearance! When it was my turn in line, I told her she did a great show. She signed a small promo flyer with her image on it, and . . .

Well, here's a thousand words:

Natalie and me

Thanks, Natalie! You were awesome.

3 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

yay for meeting Natalie :)

Anonymous said...

The Shedd recently decided to run their own in house sound system instead of using the contractor who had been servicing the hall since they opened. Speaker coverage is poor. There is no balcony coverage- go figure. It's rumored that Natalies' engineer was very unhappy with the setup.

Russ said...

Thank you, anonymous person with inside information. Well, at least I could hear most of the music just fine. I just wish I could have heard Natalie better, because she's so charming when she does her in-between song talks.