Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Why?

Last night, before the concert, my grandparents and I went out for dinner. The meal didn't meet my expectations, but I'm not going to get into that right now.

What I am going to do is wonder why restaurants keep using those glass ketchup bottles. They just don't work! I understand that perhaps they're easier to clean and perhaps more economical, but they fail as usable objects:

  • Even if glass is cheaper to use, a plastic squeeze bottle would be far less likely to break because of a hearty push against the bottom of the bottle to get any ketchup to come out.
  • In addition to the potential of glass breakage, there's the potential for spills and messes. Customers could get ketchup splattered all over themselves (and a mis-aimed bottle could splatter another customer); the ketchup could splatter all over the counter/table, floor, wall, etc.; and an undesired amount of it could end up on the food item, and perhaps even food items the customer does not want to eat with ketchup. All of the above situations make for unhappy customers and unhappy restaurant staff.
  • Time and time again, glass ketchup bottles fail to work for anyone. I'd bet at least seven out of ten customers, if not more, have problems with getting ketchup out of these bottles.
So why use glass ketchup bottles at all? I know a squeeze bottle isn't elegant, but at least it works. How about using those plastic red dispensers you see at hot dog stands? Heck, I'd even take a fast food ketchup packet over a glass bottle.

Someone must come up with a solution to this!

1 comment:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

I've never had a problem with it, not being a huge fan of what we call over here "tomato sauce". But I appreciate it could be a potential embarrassing situation, with ketchup going splatt everywhere! :(