Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Another one bites the dust

I just heard that Mitch Mitchell, drummer for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, died earlier today. There are no longer any living members of the original trio. The only regular Hendrix collaborator still alive is bassist Billy Cox. This is a very sad moment for music.

Ever since I discovered the music of Jimi Hendrix in 2004, I've been a huge admirer of Mitch Mitchell's drumming. He played drums with the same wild, anything-goes spirit that Jimi brought to electric guitar. As great as he was in the studio, his live drumming was even better. I have two live Hendrix concert DVDs, and Mitch's playing is spectacular. Even his solos are great. If Keith Moon was the clown prince of drummers, Mitch was the tightrope walker - performing great, daring feats but making it look easy in the process.

Later this week or weekend, I'll have to make a short list of my favorite Mitch Mitchell performances. He had many great ones.

1 comment:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Oh bugger. News like that makes us all feel so old, huh?

RIP Mitch.