Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A few more words, this time about America

Barack Obama will be the next President of the United States of America.

The first thing that probably comes to mind is "He did it!" That might be true, but it doesn't tell the true story. The truth of the matter is that we did it. America did it. Of course, not all Americans voted for Obama, but a majority of Americans did. I hope that those who did not vote for Obama will accept him as their president. Because, you see, he is their president. He is our president. This is a man who cares about America, and that includes each and every American. That's change we can believe in.

What happened today is what America is all about. The most American thing is the right to vote, the right to decide who runs the government. That is why thousands of brave men and women from the original thirteen colonies sacrificed their lives against the British forces. That is why even more brave men and women sacrificed their lives for their country in the Civil War. Imagine that concept for a moment - going into battle, horrible and terrible battle, because you believe so strongly in the concepts written down by our founding fathers. That is why an even greater number of men and women sacrificed their lives in Europe, in Japan, in Korea, in Vietnam and, as we speak, in Iraq and Afghanistan.

You register to vote, you go to the polls (or mail in your ballot if you live where I do), and you choose your candidate. You make your voice heard. That is America.

The concept of voting is a great one. We choose our own laws. We make decisions about our own lives. Of course, not all laws are voted upon, but we have another choice - the choice to complain to our congressmen and senators if we don't agree with the laws they make. We choose those individuals to represent us. We give them the power and the mandate to speak up for us, to do what is best for us. If we do not like what they do, or what they have to say, we have the option of giving their job to someone we deem more qualified.

It doesn't end there. Oh no, it doesn't end there. Our right to choose extends to every level of American society - state government, county government, local government. We even decide who represents us at school. America may not always be perfect, but we always have the option of making a change. Today, we did just that.

I'm not saying America is the greatest nation on earth. I'm not saying our way is the best way. But, for me, I prefer our way, and I am glad I was born into a nation that gives me a choice.

I made my choice. I hope you did too. I don't know how to end this, so I'll leave it at that.