Monday, November 10, 2008

Tearing it up

I bought a new CD today: Live At The Wetlands by Robert Randolph and the Family Band. It is the only RR&TFB album I had yet to buy. I'm hoping to see them in concert later in the month, so I wanted to prepare and get myself excited.

I've read reviews of this album on Amazon, and I don't really agree with many of them. People complain that the songs are too long, too repetitive, and light on lyrics. I agree that some of them might be a bit too long, but they're so much fun that you don't notice!

People need to understand that Robert Randolph's music has roots in the church. At the point in his career when he made Live At The Wetlands, Robert didn't have much studio experience. The music on this album reflects his church roots. The purpose of the long jams isn't to give you lyrics or a nice, short composition. The point is to get you off your feet! Perhaps the live experience of a Robert Randolph concert can't be captured on a recording. Maybe you have to be there to really understand.

Long or not, repetitive or not, the music on Live At The Wetlands is awesome!

No comments: