Friday, December 26, 2008

Electric Guitar Heaven

Today I bought David Gilmour's Live In Gdansk album with my Christmas money. I've just listened to the whole thing, and the word that comes to mind is 'triumphant.'

David Gilmour may just be my favorite guitarist. Jimi Hendrix was great, yes. He used the technology of his day to its fullest, and even helped create some new technology. He could do anything with a guitar and frequently demonstrated his skills on record and in concert. Gilmour, on the other hand, keeps a consistent tone and uses that to its full potential. Each of his solos is emotional, powerful, heartbreaking, and nearly overwhelming. I can get bored at times with Hendrix; not so with David.

Live In Gdansk is filled with amazingly wonderful guitar work. The sound quality is top-notch. I don't think too many of the songs differ much from the studio versions, but they do have that extra special something that only a live performance can give.

This is a very long album. I may have more thoughts after I listen to it more. Right now, I can say that this album is worth every penny of its cost.

1 comment:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Amen and Amen. Mr Gilmour is one of those one-in-a-million musicians who have brilliantly perfected their craft over such a lengthy career. I'll keep an open ear out for that album, thanks!!!