Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Altan and BBQ

Oddest pairing for a post subject, right?

My birthday is just a few days away, and I have started listening to the music I've purchased as gifts to myself. First up is Horse With A Heart by Irish group Altan. I found it used at CD World. It sat there for a few months, and I decided to buy it while I still could. It's either their second or third album, released in 1989.

My first impression? It's exactly what one can expect from an Altan CD. It's nice to know you can count on a group to meet your expectations. As always, there are pretty songs with soft guitar, blazing sets of instrumentals and lots and lots of fiddle. There are keyboards on a couple songs and more bodhran on the tunes, otherwise all of these songs have a familiar sound and style.

What else did I buy? There will be more revelations to come this week!

In other news, my grandparents took me to lunch today for my birthday. I decided to go to Hole In The Wall BBQ, my favorite local place. My parents are taking me to their second location tomorrow night, so I thought I'd go to the original location today and get something different.

I ordered a beef brisket sandwich with a side of sweet potato fries. The fries were good and a change from the ordinary. The sandwich, though, had too many fatty pieces. I think I'd prefer brisket on a platter. Here's what it all looked like:

Brisket Sandwich #2

Sweet Potato Fries

No comments: