Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday Scribblings - 7/12/09

Indulgence


You can have too much of a good thing, but how much is too much? I find it interesting that humans are always tempted to overindulge on whatever it is they are craving - food, money, attention. We just can't seem to get enough.

We should curb that urge. Why? Not because having indulgences is a bad thing (they're what keep us happy, after all), but because too much of something keeps it from being special. You'll enjoy that bar of chocolate if you eat it one piece at a time over the course of a few days or even a week. If you hold off on buying that special fast food meal, you'll enjoy it more when you do finally eat it.

I've had to learn to deal with this issue. I used to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, for the most part. After some health issues cropped up to remind me that I'm not a college student anymore, it was time to put those habits aside. I still eat the things I like, but I have less. Of course, I'm not perfect and I do have my bad moments, but I try to balance the bad moments with good moments later on. That's what it's all about - balance. Learn to balance your cravings with the stuff you need but don't crave, and you'll leave overindulging behind.

No comments: