Sunday, August 09, 2009

Sunday Scribblings - 8/9/09

New

I think it's human nature to enjoy novelty. That would explain this drive we have to get more, more, more. It's not that we want more - it's that we want something new. We may enjoy the things we already have, but we enjoy something new even more.

Why do people cheat? Maybe it's because they want the thrill of a new relationship. Why is it that, nearly every weekend, the top box office movie is brand new? Because people haven't seen it yet and would rather see that than the movie that's been in theaters for weeks. People enjoy movies when they're new much more than they do after they've seen the movie and know the surprises.

It works the same for music. Usually, your first time hearing a really great song is the most pleasurable. Each time you hear it after that first time, it loses a little of its charm. You may not notice, but it does. I have over two-hundred CDs, but I'm always wanting to buy new ones. There's nothing like that first day with a new album. There's nothing like coming home with something new to enjoy.

I also prefer to read new (to me) books. I re-read books as well, but I always like to read something for the first time.

Why is this? Why are we so enthralled by the new? Maybe it's something to do with the addictive nature of the brain. Each new experience (so long as it's enjoyable) is like getting another dose of an addictive drug. We need to feed the beast. I don't know if any of this is true, or the reasons for it, but I think our minds are truly amazing things.

No comments: