Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tuesday Tunes - 8/11/09

Tuesday Tunes:

Tell us about the most mind-blowing concert you've ever attended.

This is tough, because I've seen quite a few amazing concerts. I can't believe I'm not picking BeauSoleil, or Nickel Creek, or Natalie MacMaster.

I'm picking Los Lobos.

I've actually seen them twice now, but I'm referring to the first time in 2006. I saw them at our outdoor concert venue, the Cuthbert Amphitheater. I knew very little about them, only that they did the soundtrack to "La Bamba" and are a Mexican-American band from Los Angeles. I had heard of David Hidalgo and Steve Berlin. Other than those tidbits, I knew absolutely nothing about Los Lobos.

They blew my mind that night with songs from their new album as well as old favorites (which are now favorites of mine too). They played everything - rock and roll, r&b, even a little zydeco. I really enjoyed myself out in the summer evening listening to this great band. I didn't want it to end. The highest compliment I can give the band is that they made me a fan that night. That is how good the concert was!

I saw them again last year with Los Lonely Boys. They were great as usual, but I was missing the magic of that first time. Isn't that how it always is? No matter how many times you see a band, nothing can compare to that first concert experience.

There are many other concerts I could mention, but how can you beat a concert that turns you into a fan of the band?

No comments: