Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Firefox slow? Try this

Today I'm browsing around in the Firefox Add-Ons, and I found a little gem that seems like it's going to help me a lot:

Places Cleaner

In the past month or two, I've noticed Firefox's performance slipping.  The program tends to freeze up a lot, especially when I'm typing in a URL or looking through my bookmarks in the organizer.  I figured it was just Windows being Windows or Firefox being Firefox.

Then, I found Places Cleaner and it seems like all will be right with the world once again.

What does it do?  It takes the database of your bookmarks and history and defragments it.  This should lead to a speedier performance and fewer lockups.  I've only used it for ten minutes and I already notice a huge difference.  The organizer launches incredibly quickly now, and searching from the address bar doesn't slow things down.  Of course, I'll realize I'm wrong the first time I do have problems again, but right now it seems like this add-on really works!

I also added Tab Mix Plus last night.  Why didn't I do that sooner?  It's an awesome extension, almost too powerful in some ways.

Yes, I'm geeking out.  Deal with it.

No comments: