Monday, January 25, 2010

Songs I Like: The Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Zero"

This is my new favorite song.  I was watching some live performance videos posted on Stereogum yesterday, and fell in love with "Zero" by The Yeah Yeah Yeahs on first listen. 

The key to this song is the sassy, spunky vocal performance by Karen O.  You really have to watch a performance or watch the music video for the song to get the full effect.  On this one, Karen reminds me of Chrissie Hynde from The Pretenders.  A lot.  I can easily imagine Chrissie singing this song.  I can easily imagine The Pretenders releasing this song in the 1980s.  If you're a Pretenders fan like me, you'll enjoy this song a great deal.

As with all great songs, the hooks are full and present.  You'll be singing along in no time.  This song was the first single from their latest album, and that's no mistake.  This sounds like a single and nothing but.  It's as plain as day is light: this is a song designed to make you feel good and enjoy yourself.

Musically, this sounds very 80s, only better.  It's like the 80s with today's production methods.  It an unexpected sound by what's basically a three-piece rock band.  It has a huge amount of energy, and that energy is passed on to you.

This song has it all: a big sound, good lyrics, a catchy melody and a kickass lead singer.  It's the most fun I've had listening to music in a while.  Listen below, or have a look at the music video

No comments: