Friday, April 30, 2010

Top Five On Friday - 4/30/10

Top Five, last of April:

Top 5 bands you wish you had discovered sooner.

1)  My Bloody Valentine.  For years I had heard about the greatness of Loveless, but I hadn't experienced it for myself until earlier this year.  I can't believe I didn't hear it sooner, and I'm glad I did.

2)  Crowded House/Neil Finn.  I had only heard "Don't Dream It's Over" and didn't even know who Neil Finn was, until a friend told me about him and his music.  I bought one of his solo albums and became a big fan of his intelligent, catchy pop rock.

3)  Los Lobos.  All I knew of them was "La Bamba" until I saw them perform live.  It was then I realized how much great music I had been missing because I only knew "La Bamba."  Ok, actually I knew a little more than that, but not more than the La Bamba soundtrack.

4)  The Dhol Foundation.  I knew about them as a side project of one of the Afro Celt Sound System members, but didn't think to listen to their music until last year (has it already been that long since I bought their music?)  It's good stuff, and I should have listened a long time ago.

5)  Last, and the best.  The Beatles.  I don't think I'd heard any of their albums until about 2004 or 2005.  I bought Abbey Road and a year later bought Sgt. Pepper.  How did I spend 25 years without listening to the Beatles?  It's insane!

No comments: