Friday, June 01, 2007

Top Five On Friday (and a report on new CD purchases)

Happy Friday! Can you believe we're almost halfway through 2007? I submitted today's Top Five On Friday topic:

Top Five Albums You Bought On Impulse.

1) Grace by Jeff Buckley. I bought this in September 2002. I had planned on buying it when I returned to school, or for Christmas, but I saw it on sale for $10.99 one day when shopping for my sister's birthday. Right then and there, I decided to buy it. My life has never been the same.

2) Green Linnet: 25 Years of Celtic Music (compilation). I was browsing through CD World's used disc selections when I saw this gem in the "Celtic" section. It's a two-disc set, and was priced at only $8! I couldn't pass that deal up, so I bought it. It's a great compilation of many diverse songs from great Celtic artists.

3) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles. One Beatles disc was an impulse buy - the great Sgt. Pepper album. I was in, yes, the used disc section. The store was having a sale. As soon as I saw the famous, bright-colored cover, I knew I had to have it right then and there.

4) Blood and Chocolate by Elvis Costello. Sometimes, when I go music shopping, I don't find what I'm looking for. This purchase was the result of one of those days. I had come in to buy The Delivery Man by the same artist, but it wasn't to be found. I thought about what else to buy, and decided to pick this up.

5) The Very Best of Roy Orbison by Roy Orbison. Here's the story: Last year, for my birthday, I went to CD World again to buy new music for myself. I had a list of discs I wanted, and found them all. I originally planned on buying only three discs, and passed this up for a Dave Matthews Band selection. Or so I thought. When I saw that the total cost of my purchases was lower than I expected, I quickly grabbed this disc from the up-front sale rack where I saw it. I had my cake and ate it too!

Honorable Mention #1: First Rays of the New Rising Sun by Jimi Hendrix. Once again, I was browsing the used section at CD World. I came in to buy Axis: Bold As Love by Hendrix, and had it in my hands. Then, I saw this one in the used discs. Everything in the store was on sale, so I was able to buy two Hendrix discs for a little more than the price of one! I was happy indeed.

Honorable Mention #2: Metallica by Metallica. This is another disc I saw in the used section. I wanted to get it someday, and I thought I shouldn't pass up a chance to get it cheaper than new.


But that's not all, folks! Today, I went to CD World as usual and bought two new CDs for myself. I purchased Harvest Storm by Altan (Irish band) and Love by The Beatles. No, neither album was an impulse buy - I had planned to purchase them before I went to the store.

1 comment:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

EC and The Beatles are two very good impulse buys :)