Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Very-Mini Review - "Knocked Up"

As I said I would, I saw the movie "Knocked Up" today at the bargain theater. I thought it was funny and cute, although not the funniest movie I've ever seen (that would be "Wedding Crashers").

Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl are both great as lead characters Ben and Alison. They share some great chemistry together - kind of a "beauty and the beast" situation. The angrier scenes seemed fairly forced, but the good moments appeared genuinely acted and written.

The dialogue is hilarious - keep an ear open whenever one of the children (played by Judd Apatow's real daughters) speak. The humor in this movie is really dialogue-driven. The insults and odd monologues by the secondary characters and Mr. Rogan are often the funniest parts of the movie. The language can get kind of spicy (many F-bombs) and there are some in-your-face drug use scenes. If you can get past that, however, you'll laugh at much of the movie.

Would I watch this again? I definitely would. Would I purchase it? I'm not so sure. Apatow's previous movie, "The 40-Year Old Virgin" has left a much stronger impression on my brain. I want to see "Superbad" too, so we'll see how that compares. It will be McLovin vs. Paul Rudd and his many chairs (if you've seen "Knocked Up," you're probably giggling right now).

No comments: