Thursday, March 13, 2008

Take Me To The River

I just finished reading Cane River by Lalita Tademy today. My opinion - it's good, but not great. The story drags a little in places, and the author messes around with time (a child grows up to be a grandmother in the span of around fifty pages, things like that). However, I did enjoy the historical content and the themes of race and family and social pressures.

My next read is A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain. I know this one will be good. Anthony is a great writer. If he didn't end up cooking, he probably would have written his whole life. I'd hope so, anyway.

Apparently Livejournal has done away with free, ad-free accounts. Boo! Ads are horrible. People don't like them. What's wrong with a free, basic journal? They've been doing it that way for years now. I wonder how long it will take until everyone must pay for their journal.

That's all the blogging I'll do today. I'm going to go watch Frank McCourt visit pubs in Dublin on PBS. Never mind. Instead of Frank McCourt, PBS is showing some "Change your brain" show. Maybe I'll see Frank some other night.

No comments: