Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tuesday Tunes - 7/15/08

Tuesday Tunes:

What's the most you've ever paid for a CD? What CD was it?

I can't recall how much I paid for Jeff Buckley's Grace Legacy Edition, but I bet it was close to $30. Either that, or the Triona Ni Dhomhnaill CD that cost me $28.

Do you own any CDs that aren't domestic?

I believe I do. I know I own a French import of Alabina's greatest hits, but the CD doesn't work properly. I'm not sure what else I own for imports, but I must have at least one other.

How do you feel about European discs and Japanese discs getting bonus tracks and special packaging when the US does not?

Well, the tracks usually end up on the internet, don't they? I think the whole album concept has, basically, ended. There are albums coming out, that is true, but for the most part the CDs now are just collections of tracks, each version slightly different. Also, each album is subject to change. Is there any album that can't be re-released or made into a special edition?

Are there any bands/artists you go out of your way to purchase any release for?

I have a few artists whose new releases I will always buy. I'm not into collecting singles or imports, so I don't have everything from any particular artist. I have all but a few of the Smashing Pumpkins' albums (all of their major studio releases) as well as everything the Afro Celt Sound System has released in the U.S. (minus the singles, of course).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You bring up a good point about the rereleases. I did not even think of that.

It is said the money industry is the only industry to make more money on what was previously sold in a new format (records to tapes to cds to downloads).

No wonder I am so poor. LOL

Natsthename said...

I'm a completist for certain artists, too, but not so much these days.

And wow, those Legacy editions are pricey. I don't usually buy them, but I do think "Grace" would be worth the price!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I think its because of the way albums are released that the buying of albums has gone down. I don't agree about the remastering though. Oingo Boingo has yet to be remastered and its only by pure luck that there's a remastering of Nick Lowe's Jesus Of Cool